Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Call to Words

I've begun reading again and reading anew "Atop the Underwood" by Jack Kerouac. I've read it before and enjoyed it greatly. This time to read is providing new perspectives. The book Jack's writings between the ages of 13 and 21. Even early on he believed that he existed to write.

The book provides great insights into the writer-in-progress, a boy-becoming-man who einjoyed stories (writing or listening), words, curiosity (his own and that of others) and expression. I remember hearing from a friend that words are my exhale (that friend hung around...she's now my wife!), and I've always appreciated that insight. I fell in love with photography at the age of six and with words not long thereafter through stories and conversation with Mom and Dad. Writing hooked me in 8th grade (Thank you Mrs. Owens). In Jack's words, I am gently reminded of my past, and therefore a better view of my future.

Let's not forget two things: 1. young people can feel strong urges about their abilities and purposes and we can play a role in encouraging them, and 2. we shouldn't forget the things that moved us strongly as young adults and adults-in-the-making...there is a rich source of energy, direction and affirmation there.

No comments: